Thursday, December 25, 2008

Elle Magazine, January '09

The January Elle was all about Makeovers - or "Make-betters," a term they sagely coined in deference to the already-fabulous state of their readership.

While not my favorite fashion rag, (too much real magazine - with articles and variety and all that - with not enough clothes. The spreads they do feature are generally too high-fashion-runway to translate to my plebian what-am-I-gonna-wear-tomorrow tastes) but... somebody got me a subscription and I always find a few things for my scrapbook.

Before I tell you what I think would look great on our great big bodacious bodies, I want to give an honorable mention to one of the articles...I forget what page because I already clipped my picks and recycled the book, but the author tried a new hairdo each day for 3 weeks and let someone photograph her! The pictures and descriptions were inspiring, sad, and comical all at once.

<-- Page 42 predicts tie-dye will be making a hippy dippy trippy comeback for spring. This suit by Cynthia Rowley is anything but flighty! In a softly-sheened grey with random white tie-dye patterning, it lends a whole new ease to corporate suiting. The one button rise on the jacket and the A-line skirt is the ultimate in full-figure flattery. Cynthia Rowley looks to be about a size zero-minus, bless her bony heart, so I doubt she'll be making it in my size anytime soon. We'll have to wait for Lane Bryant or someone to pick up the slack, ladies!


On the facing page, the "I sell thin-mints outside the Safeway" look continues from last fall, which is great because my own khaki shirtdress is so versatile when I want to look like a sultry scoutmistress.
-->
Here's a jacket that would be so flattering on an Apple shape - talk about creating an illusion of a waistline! One caveat: it's long, so us vertically challenged should probably abstain, but I can easily see this on someone over 5'6.

<--Again, on page 78, a runway look from Lios Vuitton features this great sexy safari look. I wouldn't wear it with a dangling plumb-bob on a shoestring, nor with a feathered skirt, but the jacket and wide leather belt are perfectly ready-to-wear.

"Designer to Watch" Jason Wu has some interesting things including this lovely embroidered silk number on page 63 with its creamy colors and flattering wrap-shirring at the waist/bust. -->
D-E-licious! I never go sleeveless, but I might for this dress.
(Is there a dressmaker out there who wants to whip me up a copy? Make mine with cap-sleeves and a back-zipper please) :-)



<--I just cut this picture out because it's so cool '80's rocker chick. It's not a style I usually attempt, but for a slightly altered version of this dress I might.

The side panels (red arrows in illustration) should be done in black to slim the sillhouette, and the banding at the waist should remain, but not continue down onto the hip.

It would also have to skim the knee instead of being 4 inches above it...this max-mini length would ride up with every movement on a person-of-size. (I saw this happen recently at a Christmas party and wanted to stage an intervention for the poor, control-top-pantyhose-flashing girl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment